Thursday, September 6, 2007

Cake Is Metal as Fuck


Don't fool yourself, Cake is metal. No, not in the sense that they wear skintight black (faded) jeans tucked into pristine white hi-tops with big tongues and an Overkill t-shirt. They're more metal in the way that they just don't give a shit and never follow trends. They're basically the Pro-Pain of the AltCountryBonarooHippieSmellypeople World. Same record every time, but I'll be damned if I don't have all of em!

I'm on their mailing list, which is mostly politics and such. Hey, I hate Bush too. Most good musicians do. Anyway, us list members got the opportunity to pre-order their then-upcoming B-Sides and Rarities disc, wonderfully titled B-Sides and Rarities. It was only after I saw it used at Permanent Records in Brooklyn a few weeks back, that I even remembered I ordered the damn thing in the first place.

Well it arrived last week and I just got around to listening to it today. The album flows like a regular full-length (which only a few rarities comps can say, ie: Life Of Agony's "1989-1999, Megadeth's Japanese import of "Hidden Treasures", Clutch's "A Slow Hole To China") and proves just how metal they are. The disc kicks off with a cover of Black Sabbath's "War Pigs". Best cover of "War Pigs" ever, and Faith No More is my favorite band. Their cover doesn't hold a candle to this. It's done in the traditional Cake way: 70's easy rock drum sound, thumping basslines, retro guitar licks and a trumpet solo to take the place of Mr. Iommi. Blashphomy some might say. Fuck them. This rules. I thought it might suck, but it blew me away.

Cake has always been consistant. Some records are better than others (Best: Fashion Nugget, Comfort Eagle) but they don't ever let down and they always put just enough sex, humor and underappreciated musicianship into their songs.

They did a fan video contest for "War Pigs". This my favorite one so far:
And the classic "Friend Is a Four Letter Word" clip...

No comments: