Friday, August 10, 2007

Dredg Rules.



I try not to mix words here. Dredg rules. Period. End of story. Go home. Fin.

Three LP's, a live record and a live show that never fails to have jaws on the floor, this Northern California foursome have never failed to even come close to disappointing. They get better with every release, they gain more fans with every tour and they are only asked once in a blue moon to support bigger bands, for fear of making the headliners looks like wet shit.

Very few artists can truly capture emotion and power quite like they do. They teeter on the brink of blowing up into mainstream popularity, but always fall just a bit short...And it's probably what's best for them. At a Dredg show, you see fans in t-shirts of so many bands that you would never think two people under the same roof would dig (Hoobastank, Incubus, Porcupine Tree, Rush, Mastadon, Dream Theater, Faith No More, Pearl Jam, etc), yet every motherfucker in the house is singing along to every word. I'm still in awe of a show I saw them play at The Avalon in NYC last April. One of the best shows I've ever seen...Ever.

They're currently in the studio, demoing new songs and preparing to redefine their sound yet again. 2008 is going to be awesome...

El Cielo is a masterpiece. Here is one of my favorite videos and songs, "Same 'Ol Road". You're welcome.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You know another band in the same sort of ambiguous vein as Dredg? They sort of dance on the line of well fuse rock n roll and that whole Punk/Warped Tour thing. Minus the Bear. Their music is actually pretty but I've always thought they were best friends with Taking Back Sunday - so I dismissed them. I bet they've toured w/ Dredg somewhere in their history.

Stupid and Unkind said...

I've always heard good things about Minus The Bear, actually. Not much for TBS, but I dig lots of bands that make poor touring mate choices. Don't they feature the ex-vocalist (or I guess current, since they're on a reunion tour right now) of Coalesce?