Tuesday, September 25, 2007

In Honor of Down III...


Instead of talking up the much-anticipated release Down III: Over The Under, I decided to recommend some records of the members that make up this Megalodon of a band. Just within the walls of Down, the following bands exist (or have existed at one point): Pantera, Superjoint Ritual, Graveyard Rodeo, Corrosion of Conformity, Eyehategod, The Mystik Crewe of Clearlight, Crowbar and Kingdom of Sorrow, not to mention hundreds of guest spots and other smaller projects. My loyalties lie with the best songs and COC had em' all beat by a long shot. I love me some Pantera and Crowbar, but there's just something about the way Pepper Keenan can write a riff/song/melody/lyric, that can make you feel like you know exactly what he was going through when he put the pen to the paper.

Check these records out and you will cease being a douche bag almost immediately:

** Note that the bold titles are the essential LP's to start with **

COC- Blind, DELIVERANCE, Wiseblood, America's Volume Dealer, In The Arms of God and the Live Volume CD/DVD

Pantera- Cowboys From Hell, VULGAR DISPLAY OF POWER, Far Beyond Driven, The Great Southern Trendkill, Reinventing The Steel (also check out Official Live 101 Proof and Power Metal, for the nutbag who needs to see Phil in all his cheesy glory...Rex Rocker, priceless).

Crowbar- s/t, Time Heals Nothing, Broken Glass, ODD FELLOWS REST, Sonic Excess In Its Purest Form

Superjoint Ritual- USE ONCE AND DESTROY

and of course all three Down LP's. The new one kills, just as I expected. I'm not recommending any Eyehategod, not because I don't like them...Simply becausse I was never a big enough fan to push their records on anyone. I love the heavy shit, but if there's no structure or understandable vocals, I have no use for it.

Respect this:

...And this:

...And then this:

...And if you think you're awesome enough, the heaviest thing ever:

No comments: