Saturday, August 2, 2008

Eternal Fucking Awesomeness

The new Cult of Luna is a skullcrusher. An amazing journey of an album, based on the writings in a journal of a mental patient from the 1930's. They actually recorded the new disc, Eternal Kingdom in the abandoned hospital where he once resided and ultimately passed on.

I've talked about the merits of this band endlessly but they have really blown me away with this one. Salvation was unarguably the best album either Isis or Neurosis never made and the follow-up, Somewhere Along The Highway made newer Isis and Mogwai sound like little bitches. What I'm trying to say is that you can't compete with eight Swedes no matter how you slice it. I love me some Isis, but they've clearly been run through.

I'd love to point out some highlights or favorite songs but they all lay motherfuckers to waste in their own unique way, so just buy this thing and find out for yourself. They now have two drummers alongside their three guitarists. It works.

This is an early candidate for Record of the Year. Something is going to have to come along and step out of my stereo and start punching me in the face to top this. New Amon Amarth next month, but I just can't see that even in the same league as this.

Watch this. It would do you no good to not do so. "Eternal Kingdom" Live in Warsaw (2008)
"Owlwood" Live in Warsaw (2008)

No comments: